Hello,

since this is my first post on this list I think it is a good idea to
briefly introduce myself: My name is Christopher Schwan, I am studying
physics at Uni Mainz (Germany) and I am one of the maintainers of
"sage-on-gentoo" (http://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo). Francois
Bissey, the other man working on it already wrote some comments about
it, but now about three months passed and I would like to report the
status of our project.

Our intention was and still is to provide so called "Split Ebuilds"
for the Gentoo Linux distribution to enable users of this distribution
to build Sage on Gentoo (since building from source is the default way
of installing programs on Gentoo). "Split" means that Sage and its
dependencies are seperately installed (and out of Sage's directories)
- we do this not only because its part of Gentoo's philosophy, but
also because of that makes it much easier maintainable.

I think we proved that this is actually possible, because we have
removed most of Sage's dependencies and only a handful are left. Doing
that some questions and suggestions arised which would ease our work.

The following Tickets should be fixed imo (my top 4 bugs which should
be fixed for Sage 4.4, referring to the post of William Stein in "Vote
on bugs to be fixed for sage-4.4 "stabilization release"):
- update cvxopt, ticket #6456
- remove pyprocessing, ticket #6503
- update networkx, ticket #7608
- patch combinat, ticket #7803

Questions:
- Is sqlalchemy still needed ? After removing dsage a quick grep
showed that no package in Sage uses it
- Sage uses twisted-web2-8.1.0 which is officially deprecated.
Upgrading to twisted-web-9.x would be nice
- Which directories in devel/sage/build are actually needed ? They
look very similar and take quite a lot of disk space
- Singular is heavily modified which make it impossible to split it
out of Sage - are there any intentions to send these modifications to
upstream ?