On 15 Feb., 12:38, cschwan <csch...@stamaonline.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> since this is my first post on this list I think it is a good idea to
> briefly introduce myself: My name is Christopher Schwan, I am studying
> physics at Uni Mainz (Germany) and I am one of the maintainers of
> "sage-on-gentoo" (http://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo). Francois
> Bissey, the other man working on it already wrote some comments about
> it, but now about three months passed and I would like to report the
> status of our project.

Hello Christopher,

welcome to the sage-devel list! It's good to see, that there is
interest from the Gentoo community in "sage-on-gentoo", as your
project is called. Thanks for your update, and for your questions
(already answered be others quicker than me)!

Personally, I think it would be interesting to experiment with a combo
of "sage-on-gentoo" and "Gentoo/Prefix", but I do not see anyone (me
included) having any time to devote to something like that. Of course,
it would only be a second step, after "sage-on-gentoo" being stable,
and well-maintained for a longer period of time. But the potential
benefit would be a new possibility to deploy Sage as such (we already
do something similar with "Sage in a VirtualBox image", which actually
contains not only Sage, but a bare-bones GNU/Linux installation).

There is already Gentoo/Prefix support on GNU/Linux, OS X (giving me a
chance to install Fink/Macports and Sage in parallel, without any PATH
etc. trouble), Solaris, and Windows/Interix.  Although there currently
seems to be no support for Gentoo/Prefix on Windows/Cygwin or Windows/
MinGW, I guess this is mainly because nobody ever cared, or tried.
Especially the last options, e.g. a combo of "sage-on-gentoo" and
Gentoo/Prefix on Windows64/MinGW64, would fit extremely well in the
Sage roadmap (since Windows/Interix is available only for the Ultimate/
Enterprise versions of Windows, but not for the vast majority of
Windows users). Of course, today, that's nothing but a vision ...

Cheers,
Georg