On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 3:09 PM, François Bissey
<f.r.bis...@massey.ac.nz> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 10:40:11 William Stein wrote:
>> > sage -t  "devel/sage/doc/en/tutorial/tour_numtheory.rst"
>> > **********************************************************************
>> > File "/opt/sage/devel/sage/doc/en/tutorial/tour_numtheory.rst", line 94:
>> >    sage: x = crt(2, 1, 3, 5); x
>> > Expected:
>> >    -4
>> > Got:
>> >    11
>>
>> The above two are because you are using GMP instead of MPIR.
>>
> So you are saying we need to link against the mpir version of the gmp
> libraries and that linking against gmp ones produces this result.

If you link against mpir then the above discrepancy would go away.
However, i can also tell you that the above discrepancy is harmless.
The issue is simply that both answers are right.  e.g., the line

 sage: x = crt(2, 1, 3, 5); x

uses the Chinese Remainder Theorem to find an integer x such that x %
3 == 2 and x%5 == 1.   Both -4 and 11 are correct choices of x.
The other related tests involving "modular symbols" are different
because of the same function.

> I guess a finer point to know is. is this result correct but not reduce to
> same domain? And does it have nasty consequences later - ie do
> other thing rely on the result to be in this domain?

No, there is definitely no nasty consequence.

> One more question, if we need to link against mpir's libgmp, does linking
> sage itself against it enough, or do we need to also link pari, mpfr, mpfi
> and other against it as well? mpfr in itself would be a problem as it is
> part of the toolchain (gcc is compiled against it).

I think linking sage itself is likely to be enough for doctests to
pass, though it is hard to be sure.  It would be nice to link pari
too.

William

--
William Stein