On 30 March 2010 14:00, Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dave,
>
> On Mar 30, 3:21 am, "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kir...@onetel.net>
> wrote:
> [...]
>> What I do find odd is to make
>> Python a prerequisite, then also include the python sources too. That
>> means people are going to need to have two copies of python.
>
> most likely, two different versions.
> E.g. Debian stable does not have Python 2.6, at all.
> It is in Debian testing, but not as a default Python.
> (Most of Linux systems out there have a bunch of different versions of
> Python
> installed, IMHO)
>
> Cygwin does not have Python 2.6 at present, either.
>
>> I would
>> imagine such a strategy would be even more difficult to "sell" to
>> groups like Debian for the perposes of packaging. One could argue a
>> requirement to ship python sources, but it gets even more difficult to
>> argue that python is a prerequisite, but we still ship the sources.
>> Personally I would think that anything that needs to be done before
>> python is built should be done in bash scripts.
>
> really, "some" Python 2.5 or 2.4 or 2.6 is quite easy to get for any
> system
> Sage supports or intends to support.
>
> Getting exactly the same Python as Sage runs on is quite different
> story, and can be hard.
>
> The only alternative would be to make Sage running on the zillon
> Pythons 2.x.y , for each x.y>x0.y0, out
> there, and this seems infeasible.
>
> Dima

To build on Solaris 10 (or OpenSolaris) it would need to work with python 2.4.4.

drkir...@kestrel:~$ python
Python 2.4.4 (#1, Jan 10 2007, 01:25:01) [C] on sunos5

I can see there might be even more Solaris issues!

Since python 3 is not backward compatible with python 2, there could
be even more problems in future.

Personally I would have stuck to POSIX scripts until python in Sage was built.

Dave