On Mar 31, 2010, at 5:45 AM, David Kirkby wrote:

[...]

IMHO, if Sage is ever to become a viable alternative to Mathematica,
Maple, MATLAB and Macsyma, you are going to have to shift the emphasis
towards more thorough testing before making releases. I can't imagine
Wolfram Research shipping binaries for platforms without testing them
first. Of course bugs do occur, and what works on one machine does not
necessary work on another. But it seems to me a lot of Sage bugs are
avoidable.

What I personally perceive as a lack of sufficient testing of Sage,
leaves me questioning myself whether I ever want to use Sage. I've
used Mathematica on and off for many years, and have come across bugs.
But never have I come across bugs so easily avoided as I see in Sage.

I'm trying to be constructive here, by pointing out what I believe are
deficiencies in the current process of releases.

We all want more testing. I see two options:

(1) Change lots of other people's behavior.
(2) Set up a large-scale automated build farm.

Though we have neither right now, I see (2) happening before (1).

- Robert