On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 11:50 PM, David Kirkby <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
> On 1 April 2010 01:15, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Dr. David Kirkby
>>> http://wiki.sagemath.org/devel/BuildFarm/sage-4.3
>>>
>>> and report their success/failure. Wait until there is a successful build
>>> report from each supported platform before releasing.
>>
>> That would result in never releasing another version of Sage.   Even
>> that page you point to above doesn't even come close to covering our
>> standard officially supported platforms.
>
> Well then remove official support for so many platforms, and ensure
> Sage definately builds on those for which there is official support.
>
>>> It would be fairly easy to create a similar(ish) web page, where people
>>> listed what systems they have access to. So Jaap would for example enter
>>> Fedora and OpenSolaris. Hopefully someone else would have access  to SUSE.
>>> Then if there are no reports of successful builds on SUSE, a very polite
>>> email could be sent to those with SUSE access, asking if they have have time
>>> to build sage-x.y.z.rc0, that they report it, since there has been no
>>> confirmed successful builds.
>>
>> And when they fail!?!?!?!?   What, we sit there and wait for the SUSE
>> users to fix the problems?
>
> No, drop offical SUSE support if it's impractical to test Sage on it.
>
>> I'm just repeating what I said above: if the developers do not have
>> access to the hardware with the problems, then they can't fix them.
>>
>>  -- William
>
> If developers do not have access to a platform, and/or they do not
> have the time to test Sage on that platform, then remove offical
> support for the platform. Given the following two possibilites, I know
> what one I'd chose.
>
> 1) Have official support for a large number of Linux distributions,
> even though there are not the resources to test on them.

There *are* hardware resources.  The only problem is the people effort
to configure them and organize them.

Sage didn't get to where it is now and won't get to where it needs to
go by such an attitude of not supporting platforms.  If anything, we
need to solidly support far more platforms than we currently support.

> I personally think number 2 is better than number 1. Do you agree? If
> so, the solution is obvious.

I definitely do not agree.   The solution is to get our act together
and get the infrastructure organized so that we can properly test on
*all* supported platforms.   Either help or... help.

William