On 1 April 2010 07:56, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 11:50 PM, David Kirkby <david.kir...@onetel.net>
> wrote:

>> If developers do not have access to a platform, and/or they do not
>> have the time to test Sage on that platform, then remove offical
>> support for the platform. Given the following two possibilites, I know
>> what one I'd chose.
>>
>> 1) Have official support for a large number of Linux distributions,
>> even though there are not the resources to test on them.
>
> There *are* hardware resources.  The only problem is the people effort
> to configure them and organize them.

Resources must consist of hardware, software and time.

> Sage didn't get to where it is now and won't get to where it needs to
> go by such an attitude of not supporting platforms.  If anything, we
> need to solidly support far more platforms than we currently support.

>> I personally think number 2 is better than number 1. Do you agree? If
>> so, the solution is obvious.
>
> I definitely do not agree.

I find it astonishing you feel it is more important to have offical
support for a larger number of platforms than there are the resources
to test Sage on.

> The solution is to get our act together
> and get the infrastructure organized so that we can properly test on
> *all* supported platforms.   Either help or... help.
>
> William

IMHO, platforms should never be offically supported until the
resources are in place to test on those platforms before a Sage
release is made.

Once the resources are in place, then increase the number of
officially supported platforms. But only when the resources are in
place.

Dave