On 1 April 2010 01:15, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Dr. David Kirkby
>> http://wiki.sagemath.org/devel/BuildFarm/sage-4.3
>>
>> and report their success/failure. Wait until there is a successful build
>> report from each supported platform before releasing.
>
> That would result in never releasing another version of Sage.   Even
> that page you point to above doesn't even come close to covering our
> standard officially supported platforms.

Well then remove official support for so many platforms, and ensure
Sage definately builds on those for which there is official support.

>> It would be fairly easy to create a similar(ish) web page, where people
>> listed what systems they have access to. So Jaap would for example enter
>> Fedora and OpenSolaris. Hopefully someone else would have access  to SUSE.
>> Then if there are no reports of successful builds on SUSE, a very polite
>> email could be sent to those with SUSE access, asking if they have have time
>> to build sage-x.y.z.rc0, that they report it, since there has been no
>> confirmed successful builds.
>
> And when they fail!?!?!?!?   What, we sit there and wait for the SUSE
> users to fix the problems?

No, drop offical SUSE support if it's impractical to test Sage on it.

> I'm just repeating what I said above: if the developers do not have
> access to the hardware with the problems, then they can't fix them.
>
>  -- William

If developers do not have access to a platform, and/or they do not
have the time to test Sage on that platform, then remove offical
support for the platform. Given the following two possibilites, I know
what one I'd chose.

1) Have official support for a large number of Linux distributions,
even though there are not the resources to test on them.

2) Have a smaller number of offically supported distributions on which
it is practical to test  Sage on before an official release of Sage is
made.

I personally think number 2 is better than number 1. Do you agree? If
so, the solution is obvious.

IMHO, there's little point in having official support for a large
number of platforms, if that results in broken Sage releases on the
more common platforms.

Dave