William Stein wrote:

My first worry -- how can you fix the problems that do get reported?
Often when people report build problems, those problems are on their
personal crufty Linux installs, which they won't or can't give access
to, and which can be (mis-)configured in all kinds of ways, or even
have faulty hardware.

 -- William

It's undoubtedly true what you say about peoples broken Linux installations or faulty hardware. Hence a report of a build problem does not necessarily indicate a problem with Sage, though if you get several of them, it is quite likely to be a problem.

Conversely, if you do as I suggest and wait until there is a report of a *successful* build before making an "official" release, a large number of these problems could be avoided. In the case of 4.3.4-rc1, you would not have received any reports of successful builds on SUSE, Fedora, Mandriva ... whatever else.

It needs people to fill in a page like this, which Minh created

http://wiki.sagemath.org/devel/BuildFarm/sage-4.3

and report their success/failure. Wait until there is a successful build report from each supported platform before releasing.

It would be fairly easy to create a similar(ish) web page, where people listed what systems they have access to. So Jaap would for example enter Fedora and OpenSolaris. Hopefully someone else would have access to SUSE. Then if there are no reports of successful builds on SUSE, a very polite email could be sent to those with SUSE access, asking if they have have time to build sage-x.y.z.rc0, that they report it, since there has been no confirmed successful builds.

dave