Hi There,

>> It sounds like David's definition is that every release of Sage is tested
>> on Suse before release by at least compiling it and running all doctests
>> without errors (David, correct me if I'm misinterpreting your views!).
>> How does your definition differ, if it does?
>
> Jason, you are not mis-representing my views. That would be my close to my
> definition, though I would suggest it is modified a little, to be more
> precise.
>
> We state the version of openSUSE we support, not just 'openSUSE'. Ideally
> that would be the latest stable release, but not necessarily so. I would
> not suggest holding up a release of Sage just because SUSE have released a
> new version, and nobody has had the time to set up that installation.
> Neither would I remove SUSE support if Sage does not build on the latest
> release, but builds on an earlier version.
>
> Of course, if we chose to support older and never versions of openSUSE,
> that is better, as long as Sage is tested on them.
>
> Since in the case of openSUSE, there is official Sage support for both
> 32-bit and 64-bit, then it should be checked on both 32-bit and 64-bit
> installations.

I there ! I don't know why among all the other distributions openSuSE is
driving so much attention, but to add my two cents I want to tell the
following:

I've been using onpenSUSE for quite a long time and except if sage drop
support to it, I'll keep using it. My distro is currently openSuSE 11.1, I
said on this very mailing list 5 month ago that I'll upgrade to 11.2 and I
didn't. Part of the reason is that I've only one serious machine which I use
for research and teaching and I can't afford to have anything broken during
classes. I planned to do it during Christmas vacations but, as usual, time is
very short during those vacations.

Concerning the recent iconv problem, I've been one of the first reporting it
and trying to solve (unsuccessfully) the problem. See the historic of
#8567. So there is at least one active sage developer keeping an eye on what's
happening on openSuSE. Now as I said, I don't have a lot a machine at home so
that I only test on 11.1 64bit.

I understood that among sage's virtual machines build farm, there is one
running openSuSE 11.1. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. In conclusion,
I'm strongly +1 on keeping openSuSE support, and as far as I've time and
resource for that, I'm willing to help (and I think I do) to support it.

Cheers,

Florent