On Apr 30, 1:57 am, Bill Hart <goodwillh...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 30, 6:58 am, rjf <fate...@gmail.com> wrote:
concept. What is it used for? I
> can't imagine defining a GCD in this context as divisibility is an
> exact phenomenon.

Google for "approximate GCD".

> I hear the term numerical stability used quite a lot. The two contexts
> I've encountered it are in linear algebra and in differential
> equations. Actually, I might have heard it used in polynomial
> evaluation too.

Those are typical contexts.

> I happily admit that I've no idea of a definition in the case of
> polynomial multiplication.

In that case, why are you (or whoever started it) using this term?

However, regardless of what the correct
> terminology is, the problem I am studying is precisely the one stated,
> which I took to be the subject of the thread.

Whoever, whatever.

> I'm not interested in numerical stability in any of the other senses
> that I know of, at this point. I don't even claim that what I am
> studying is a useful notion, But feel free to suggest some references
> if there is something I ought to read. Oh wait, every single published
> article out there is nonsense.

No, those were not articles on numerical stability.  Those were
articles
on asymptotically "fast" algorithms for the kinds of things that
usually
are needed for computer algebra.  If you want to read a book on
numerical accuracy, see the recent book by Higham.