On Apr 30, 6:58 am, rjf <fate...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 29, 10:58 am, Robert Bradshaw <rober...@math.washington.edu>
> wrote:
>
> > On Apr 29, 2010, at 8:30 AM, rjf wrote:
>
> > > (RJF)Again, I see no definition of what you mean by accuracy in the result
> > > of polynomial multiplication.The easiest position to take is that of
> > > MPFR--
> > considering the inputs as exact rationals, how far off is the output
> > (say, coefficient by coefficient) from the actual result. One could
> > also use other measures, such as an L^2 norm over some compact region
> > (like [-1,1]). What may make sense for many applications is some kind
> > of a "slopped absolute" precision, as has been discussed with p-adic
> > polynomials. These would have good behavior on |x| < a or |x| > a
> > depending on the slope.
>
> There is a large literature on the meaning of the "approximate GCD" of
> two polynomials with floating-point coefficients.  The term
> "stability"
> also has a pretty good definition, and it does not seem to correspond
> to how you are using it here.

Approximate GCD? That's a curious concept. What is it used for? I
can't imagine defining a GCD in this context as divisibility is an
exact phenomenon.

I hear the term numerical stability used quite a lot. The two contexts
I've encountered it are in linear algebra and in differential
equations. Actually, I might have heard it used in polynomial
evaluation too.

I happily admit that I've no idea of a definition in the case of
polynomial multiplication. However, regardless of what the correct
terminology is, the problem I am studying is precisely the one stated,
which I took to be the subject of the thread.

I'm not interested in numerical stability in any of the other senses
that I know of, at this point. I don't even claim that what I am
studying is a useful notion, But feel free to suggest some references
if there is something I ought to read. Oh wait, every single published
article out there is nonsense. Damn, I forgot. You don't recommend any
articles.

Bill.