On Apr 30, 2:17 am, Bill Hart <goodwillh...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Actually, I lie, slightly. I did find one instance of `numerical
> stability' used in reference to the FFT, and that is on wikipedia (so
> now we all know it must be true).

Again,
Accuracy and stability of numerical algorithms
 By Nicholas J. Higham

I think that what you might say more precisely is that some ordering
of operations to compute
the Fourier transform provide more accurate results than some others.

That does not mean that they are unstable.  Here is a very stable
algorithm to compute pi, to n digits.

compute_pi(n):=  return(22/7).

The result is perfectly stable and perfectly precise.

It just happens to be inaccurate.

> What I imagine is the correct way of looking at the problem is via
> pontrjagin duality, where the group algebras of Z/nZ and its dual are
> isomorphic via the fourier transform.

I have almost no idea what this means, but I doubt that it has much
bearing on
numerical approximation.