On 18 August 2010 11:33, John Cremona <john.crem...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> This is what should happen.  After somebody implements his algor
>> in Sage, then
>> we can (re)move Sympow.  Here's a trac ticket:
>>
>>   http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/9758

It would be good to state on the ticket what level of student project
this is (undergrad, postgrad), and the skill set needed (C, Python
etc). I expect you would prefer it in Python, though I think
personally a C implementation like Marks, which you can easily call
from Python, would be more beneficial to the scientific community in
general - not everyone is using Sage/Python.

I know if I were a student, I'd prefer a bit more information on that
trac ticket.

Is there a Sage web page where potential student projects could be
listed? A student is unlikely to find it on a trac ticket? I believe
some Sage projects have been done in collaboration with other
universities - IIRC, there was student at a uni in London who did a
Sage related project.

I'm basically trying to see how you could maximise the chances of
getting a student to take it on. SYMPOW is the *only* significant
barrier to Sage passing all tests on 32-bit Solaris x86 and
OpenSolaris - the others are numerical noise. But I'm reluctant to
even look at SYMPOW.

> Excellent.  Delaunay replied to me saying that he was away from home
> but when he returns he will try to locate his own implementation,
> which is in a GP script.  That might well help the implementer.  Also,
> in one of his replies on this discussion (not copied to the list so I
> hope he will not mind me quoting hime here, Mark says
>
> "My understanding was that Christophe had more details about the analytic
> questions (like inverse Mellin transforms and round-off error -- neither
> referee insisted that I say anything there), while I spent more time with
> the bad Euler factors (having tracked down the Coates-Schmidt paper where
> they essentially appear, though with a few accounting errors, and with a
> method of computation not explicitly given). I also took an "experimental"
> view of the question, computing the modular degree for a large dataset of
> curves, whilst his focus was more "French" (if I may), in that it gives a
> theoretical description and then (almost grudgingly) appends a few examples."
>
> This difference of emphasis is significant.  Mark wanted to collect a
> lot of data, so wanted his program to be fast, while Christophe just
> wanted some examples to show that the method was feasible.  Hie script
> may still be useful though.
>
> John

Again, that could usefully be added on the trac ticket.

>> I wish Robert Bradshaw would finish
>> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/9193, by the way.

>> William

Dave