On 23 August 2010 17:26, Robert Bradshaw <rober...@math.washington.edu> wrote:

> +1 to running all short test suites on build if they're small enough
> (e.g. less than 30 seconds, or, say, 25% of the build time). That is
> assuming they're expected to pass, unlike some (scipy?).
>
> - Robert

Robert,

Are you suggesting (1) or (2) below?

1) Run if tests take < 30 seconds AND <25% of the build time.

2) If tests take <30 seconds OR < 25% of the build time.

I can see a problem with the latter.

1) Some tests take <30 s to run, but that is probably more than 25% of
the build time. The simple packages take very little time to build,
but very little time to test too.

2) Some packages take a long time to build. ATLAS especially, can take
hours depending on whether it is aware of the tuning parameters for
your hardware. On t2.math, ATLAS takes about 8 hours to build. I think
it would be inappropriate to up to an additional 2 hours in that case
if the tests took 2 hours.

So personally I think a 30 second cutoff is sufficient, without
additional criteria.

Dave