On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 9:50 PM, Volker Braun <vbraun.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you are fine with using a virtual machine then just punch the notebook
> port through. The only thing running native would be the browser rendering
> the worksheet.

I think that this is the whole point no matter what approach we take;
the user shouldn't have to interact with the Sage's container
environment at all--whether that be Cygwin or a virtual machine or a
co-linux like solution or whatever. The question then becomes what of
these platforms is it easiest to distribute Sage in (install, startup,
and get Sage working at all).

> Of course you need admin rights to install a virtual machine,
> and there can be only one hypervisor on the system. So you'll never have a
> one-click app.
> With Cygwin, a one-click Sage installer could just drop a sufficient minimal
> install and then add Sage on top. The official python docs specifically
> mention cygwin so it can't be that hard to build nowadays.
> I don't see the point of going beyond this stage. Yes, with huge effort one
> could port everything to Win32 instead of posix. For what, to run 10% faster
> on somebody's gaming system?

Interestingly, some libraries and computations actually run faster in
a virtualized linux environment than natively on Windows.