On 04/14/11 05:29 PM, Alexandre Blondin Massé wrote:
Hi, all!

I know this is a recurrent subject, but I was wondering what was the
status about the Windows port. As many other users/developers of Sage,
I promote it the most I can but one obstacle that keeps showing up is
that it does not work natively on Windows. I know that there is the
VMWare solution, the Notebook server and all, but for some people, it
is unfortunately not good enough.

1. What remains to be done?

At least a partial list is at

http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/wiki/CygwinPort

2. Who is working actively/partially actively on the project?

Mike Hansen has done more than most. I think it's fair to say not a lot has happened over the last 6 months or so, but there does appear to be a recent (< 1 month) updates to several of the tickets, and a few new ones created. So perhaps things are picking up.

3. What human ressource is needed? What profile should people working
on it have?

A decent knowledge of Linux or UNIX would be ideal. A computer science student, which you mention later. would be an ideal person.

4. Assuming that the appropriate people work on the project, is there
a timeline of what could be expected and when?

Personally I can see that there are several issues which are absolutely trivial to resolve.

Other bugs, like that due to lcalc

are probably more difficult to resolve.

(I'm sure I forget important questions, so anyone feel free to add
one!)

I don't see anything important you have forgot.

Sorry for bugging you all with that again and thank you in advance for
the answers.

No problem.

Alexandre

P.S. One reason I ask is that after discussing with Franco Saliola and
Sébastien Labbé, we thought it could be a good idea to hire someone
this summer at UQAM to work on the project, but maybe it is not
realistic. For instance, would it be doable for an undergraduate
student in computer science?

Completing the port may be possible for an undergrad. It it fairly likely that if someone put quite a bit of effort in, it would encourage others.

But even if they did not complete the port, they would be able to make substantial headway.