Hi,

Most questions about finite fields matmul have been answered, in
short:
- one could quickly fix the pb that sage does not use linbox by
default (I'm surprised by this fact)
- in the current state, operands are converted from ints to double,
hence a overhead in both time
and memory.
- Burcin & I started to address this by rewriting the matrix-modn-
dense class using floating point
representation: a prototype code was working but we wen't into
troubles when polishing it and making
it work with the coercion system. Unfortunately I never found time to
get back to it since then.
- Further timing improvements are expected by using floats instead of
doubles for tiny fields (eg
roughly GF(p<100)) with no pain (already available in LinBox)
- Non prime fields are supported in LinBox, as long as their
cardinality remains small (LinBox
implementation has to be improved following
http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00315772
Theorem 2)
  but the wrapping in sage is missing. So I think it might  probably
be simpler to wrapp it rather
than creating a new spkg with MeatAxe.

Clément

PS: weird, my reply by email has been rejected and I'm now posting via
the web interface.