On 8/15/11 2:58 PM, William Stein wrote:
Hi,

If somebody walked up to *you* and asked: "Is Sage now a viable
alternative to MATLAB?" what would you say?
I'm especially interested in what people who do numerical/applied
computation think.

My answer: "It's very difficult for *me* to answer this question
myself, because MATLAB is useless for most of my own
teaching/research/work, but I realize it is very widely used in
applied mathematics.   Based on going to Scipy and the resources I've
seen online, it appears that the Numpy/Scipy stack is extremely useful
to actual people doing numerical computation.      Maybe I'll try
asking on sage-devel."

The scipy or numpy lists have threads on this occasionally. Usually many people will chime in and say why they switched from MATLAB.

Here's at least one of these threads:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.numeric.general/27115

and one message in particular:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.numeric.general/27115/focus=27127

and another:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.numeric.general/27115/focus=27127

And a message from another thread that has some very good links comparing with matlab:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.matplotlib.general/8249/focus=8259

And one more message (but look at the entire associated thread):

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.numeric.general/15078/focus=15080

People that would be good to ask that come to mind and from the above threads would be:

* John Hunter (lead for Matplotlib)
* Travis Oliphant (maybe he wouldn't know, but I bet he knows people who migrated from matlab)
* Sturla Molden
* Matthew Brett

Thanks,

Jason