On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 3:58 PM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If somebody walked up to *you* and asked: "Is Sage now a viable
> alternative to MATLAB?" what would you say?

Great question.

I teach in a predominately applied school and have been in lots of committees
where this issue has come up. The argument I've heard is basically that

(a) math software is a bit of a (necessary) extra burden on the student
who must first learn the theoretical aspects of the topic,

(b) matlab is used in industry more than any other math software,

(c) we should train students to know the most commonly used
software so as to maximize their value to a "potential employer".
(I teach at the USNA, which requires a military service, so by
"potential employer" I mean one after their service commitment
is up and they enter the private sector. AFAIK, the Navy does not
require matlab knowledge in any of their positions, though I do
think that a very good facility with math software *in general* is
of significant importance. In other words, if an officer arrives at
a new job and is told to "learn software X" they should be able to do
so very quickly.)

Do I agree matlab knowledge is very important? No. Do I mention
octave (as a free alternative to matlab) and Sage? Yes. Sadly for the
American taxpayer, this objection to the cost of matlab (which is
very cheap for students but very expensive for professionals) does
not have a serious effect since the engineering dept already requires
matlab.

Conclusion: I think Sage needs more engineers:-)
I presume a "matlab mode" option in the notebook would not hurt.

My 2 cents.