On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 11:06 AM, leif <not.rea...@online.de> wrote:
> On 25 Okt., 12:04, Jeroen Demeyer <jdeme...@cage.ugent.be> wrote:
>> On 2011-10-25 09:51, Dan Drake wrote:
>> > I think that would be a good idea, although if you're just running that
>> > through sed, the exact patches applied would be different from the ones
>> > on the trac server, which would cause some confusion.
>>
>> Very true, but I think that is only a minor annoyance.
>
> I wouldn't say it's minor, since all developers basing their work on
> these patches on trac still have the problem until a ticket gets
> merged.
>
> So checking for added trailing whitespace in patches uploaded to trac
> would IMHO be a task for the patchbot.

Even better, it could be done by a trac pluging itself (at the moment
when it matters most), not the patchbot, which may or may not run
later.

>> The point is that I don't like warnings.  There used to be time when not
>> having a ticket number in the commit message created a warning in my
>> merger script.  This meant I had to complain on a lot of tickets about
>> the commit message.
>
> Me neither.  Of course it would be better if the complaints were
> generated automagically...
> Reasonable commit messages (and btw. also patch filenames and
> attachment comments) are valuable *before* a ticket gets merged as
> well; the latter two are more or less irrelevant after a ticket has
> been merged, since they don't appear in a release, or as soon as
> you've imported a patch. (The filenames of course appear in your
> Mercurial patch queues and shell history, so *are* pretty relevant
> during development.)

For me having ticket numbers (and comments) in a patch are
*incredibly* important *after* a ticket has been merged.  I would say
they are way more important after than before merge.       Typically,
when I see some code that is suspect in Sage, I use "hg blame" to see
what patch last modified that code, I look at the commit message of
the patch to see the ticket number, then look at the relevant page on
trac.

>> Eventually, people were asking, "why doesn't your
>> script automatically add the ticket number?".  Since then, that's how
>> things are done in the merger script.  No warnings, just automatically
>> (and silently) make the change.
>
> Well, as far as I know invalid commit messages (or more precisely ones
> lacking a ticket number) never created merge conflicts.

But they make future development work on Sage (especially for me) much harder.
Automatically adding them on merge is a great solution.

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics