On 1/14/12 2:37 PM, William Stein wrote:
On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Jason Grout
<jason-s...@creativetrax.com>  wrote:
On 1/14/12 1:49 PM, William Stein wrote:

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Jason Grout
<jason-s...@creativetrax.com>    wrote:

Thanks for the feedback; please test the fixes.

I really hate to write this, but it's important.    Evidently, I have
never seriously looked at MathJax before just now, I guess, because my
first reaction is that Mathjax looks like "crap" compared to jsmath,
at least with Chrome 16.0.912.75 on OS X 10.7.  The very first thing I
tried was "show(2/3* x^(3/2 + pi))".  On sagenb.org with jsmath it
looks amazing -- just like pdflatex output.  On test.sagenb.org it
looks horrible to my eye -- definitely nowhere close to tex or even
jsmath.

Even the example in the upper right of http://www.mathjax.org/ (at
that site) looks bad to me (which is also in the screenshot).

In Safari things look equally bad.  In Firefox they look... a bit better.

Do I have to install special fonts?  What am I doing wrong?   If this
is really what MathJax looks like, I definitely don't want to switch
to MathJax.

The issue is that it is probably using your browser's STIX fonts rather than
standard Computer Modern TeX fonts.  I just pushed a change to
test.sagenb.org that lets you select which font to use.  Can you right-click
on a MathJax expression, click Settings, then Font Preference, and select a
TeX font and see if that solves your problem?

The first two "Tex font" options look good.  The third (image fonts)
just gives a big red error, and now I'm *stuck* using that option with
evidently no way to get out of it, since I can't get the menu anymore
-- all I get is "[Math Processing Error]" in red.   :-(

Yeah, I'm stuck there too :(. I specified in the configuration that we didn't have image fonts, but apparently that doesn't remove the menu option. Also, it would be nice if you could get the menu by clicking on the red error message.

For now, I've put back the png image fonts so we can get back the menu. This adds about 118M to the install, and is only necessary for very old browsers (and for those of us that get stuck, apparently).

Can we please change the default to "Tex fonts", or does that only
work if one has something special installed?

TeX Web fonts will work probably, but require a download (fully automatic, though; you don't do a thing). This is probably cached too.

It's a little sad to me that the only way to get the menu is right
click.  This is somewhat non-mac friendly (and downright hostile to
tablets and phones), as we saw often with jmol at the JMM booth where
we were constantly tripped up trying to access the jmol menu.    The
old "jsmath" square button in the bottom right was better.  Is there
an option for something like that?

I think it would be easy enough for us to change this via javascript on our own menu. Would you like a small little "MathJax" square button at the bottom?

Thanks,

Jason