> Frankly said, it is currently *too easy* (for the release manager) to
> abandon changes made to previous, already published [devel] releases
> -- as if they never happened.  And whether that's beneficial to the
> development and review process is at least questionable.
>
> 2ct,
>
> -leif

 Hi Leif,

I think that's pretty close to the heart of the matter. Let me point
out the following facts of the current release process workflow.

1.
It can guarantee that each "official" release depends linearly on the
previous oficial release. I.e. there is a well defined (and openly
communicated/visible) series of patches, that will lead from one
official release to the next/following one, when these patches are
applied sequentially (for each of the different spkgs).

2.
It allows for working with/testing *in parallel* several "development"
releases, between which no such linear dependencies need to exist.
E.g. it allowed for already creating and testing Sage-5.0.alpha
development releases already at a point of time, where the "final
official" Sage-4.8 didn't even exist yet (only rc candidates) --- or
even could have existed, because for some of the few remaining
blockers for Sage-4.8, the (eventual) patches themselves simply didn't
exist yet!

IMHO, the advantages of the current workflow (especially point 2
above) do outweigh the disadvantages that are mentioned in this
thread. And I don't see how any "inverse/undo patching" could possibly
result in the freedom to work on several "truly independent"
development releases/branches *at one and the same time*. Thus I
believe that "easiness to anbandon changes made to previous
development releases" is an essential need!

Finally, I'd like to add that in my eyes, Jeroen does a tremendously
good job in "coordinating concurrent or conflicting changes", to the
extent that more often than not, it is us fellow developers hanging
behind after him, not the other way around! (Which is a very good
thing, because it means Jeroen can attack developer jobs himself like
the OS X 10.7 Lion problem.)

Cheers,
Georg