Jeroen Demeyer <jdeme...@cage.ugent.be> writes:
> On 2012-03-06 12:12, Keshav Kini wrote:
>> I don't understand why you need to do this. The merge process should be
>> a one-time thing, right? Isn't that what the merger script is for?
>> Doesn't "preparing a release" basically mean finalizing the list of
>> patches that will go into the release, not actually making any commits
>> or putting together any tarballs?
>
> No, "preparing a release" == "while (!finished) {decide on a list of
> patches that will go into the release, actually make the commits and put
> together the tarballs, test the tarballs on the buildbot}".

Hmm. OK, I guess it's not that big of a deal. If we are moving away from
patches and to a (likely git-based) push-pull system soon, then the
entire release management workflow will be changed anyway, so we can
discuss it at that time. For now I rescind my request.

However, if you could maybe address the two problematic things I
mentioned, that would be great too - i.e. save the timestamp when you
make .hgtags commits and use the same timestamp when you build later
development releases, and perform a separate version.py commit for each
development release tag point in a development release, not just the
last one.

Maybe I can even help you with that (poor as my shell scripting skills
are). Do you have your merger script under version control somewhere? Or
is it just in /home/jdemeyer/merger12618 on sage.math.washington.edu ?
What is "12618" anyway?

-Keshav

----
Join us in #sagemath on irc.freenode.net !