On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:57:11 PM UTC-7, Nathann Cohen wrote:

> I am glad to know that there is a general-purpose rule to tell me that
> I should refrain from thinking.

Au contraire, I'm trying to encourage you to think. And the most important
rule about building fast software is to find the place where it matters to
spend your effort on, instead of going off on tangents about how this or
that could have been done more efficiently.

If you don't want to listen to me how about the Cython tutorial
(http://docs.cython.org/src/tutorial/profiling_tutorial.html#profiling-tutorial):

"Never optimize without having profiled. Let me repeat this: Never optimize
without having profiled your code. Your thoughts about which part of your
code takes too much time are wrong. At least, mine are always wrong."