while playing a big with Nathann's implementation
http://www.sagemath.org/doc/reference/graphs/sage/graphs/distances_all_pairs.html,

I also saw:

sage: len(cov)
24024

sage: %time Graph(cov)
CPU times: user 3.00 s, sys: 0.04 s, total: 3.04 s
Wall time: 2.97 s
Graph on 6006 vertices

sage: G = Graph
sage: %time G.add_edges(cov); print G
Graph on 6006 vertices
CPU times: user 0.38 s, sys: 0.01 s, total: 0.39 s
Wall time: 0.37 s

And the time difference becomes much bigger for larger graphs (I also tried
one with 10^6 edges, and adding them using add_edges took a few secs, while
I interrupted Graph(cov) after about 10min... Is this something that should
be fixed?

Thanks, Christian