On Thursday, February 27, 2014 2:53:06 PM UTC-8, jason wrote:

> On 2/27/14 4:26 PM, rjf wrote:
> > So how does it stack up as
> > (a) user experience?
> > (b) programming environment?
>
> For what it's worth, it took me a couple of hours to implement a live
> camera widget:
>
> http://sagecell.sagemath.org/?q=bttssr
>
> I believe the cloud has something like this too.
>
> (and yes, I know I'm not comprehensively answering your question.  Just
> thought I'd throw this out there, though...)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason

I tend to think of most software technology in terms of
(a) Can I just use it from Common Lisp
(b) If not, can I load some Common Lisp library and then just use it
(c) if not, can I load some <C? C++, ...> foreign function library into
Common Lisp and then use it.

You may of course replace Common Lisp with your favorite language.

There are a few places where I found this really hard.  For example, using
the handwriting (stroke) input library in the ill-fated Windows Tablet PC.
Or using the speech SDK in windows.

Even this could, perhaps, be done as  (c),  but not easily.  Simpler was
to write small pieces of code in ecmascript  (= Javascript)  or gack
Visual Basic.

So here's a question for Sage fans or Mathematica/ EGOFART/ Wolfram language
fans:
  Can you read handwriting?   Can you listen to audio input?
In particular, if someone wrote or spoke the quadratic formula,
could you compute with it?

I don't know the answer to this,   but I assume WITH ENOUGH EFFORT
these are possible.

But if the barrier is      really high to doing this, I would say that
this demonstrates  "language X is the universal language for
computing/knowlege/ etc"   has fallen short.

Note that Siri is not too good  at math.  There is a utility
in Windows called something like Math Input Panel that has
been released in Windows 7  (I was working on this problem
previously...)   So accessing MIP might be considered a
solution, except MIP is something of a toy.

And of course for Sage MIP is treif.