On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 11:26 PM, rjf <fate...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So how does it stack up as
> (a) user experience?

I have some contact with others teaching MMA, and what struck me when
watching the demo video in regard of UX is, that there are two major
shortcomings.

First, it's inconsistent. If something doesn't work out as it should,
there is no clear path how to get there, because it depends heavily on
what you have already done so far. That's frustrating for the teachers
and also for the students.

Second, functionalities are not discoverable. In Sage there is more
and more a trend to group top-level functions by a topic, e.g. someone
types "graphs.[TAB]" and the tab key expands a list of functions only
for graphs. Additionally, once you have constructed a data structure
holding the information for a concrete incarnation of a concept - AKA
variable name - you can do variable.[TAB] to see operations you can do
on that given instance.
This struck me briefly in the MMA demo video, where the UI gave a list
of common functions you can apply on the given object. (It was only
limited to those functions with only one argument, though.)