Hello, I'm the annoying person digging up old tickets. It seems I fail to
understand the collaboration process. When I create a local branch by
merging a ticket into my newest develop and fiddling with that, I cannot by
design push any commit to the author's branch on trac. I understand this is
the normal behaviour, and the dev docs state

...After you have done that, you can upload your changes back to trac:

[user@localhost]$ sage -dev commit
[user@localhost]$ sage -dev push

This will update the ticket to now point to your branch, including your
changes. *Your branch is based on the original author’s branch, so s/he can
easily incorporate your changes into his/her own branch *
However, two long-time developers have now asked why I do this, and one
suggested to use a branch under public/, but I tried that and I can push
that branch to trac but it's not visible in the ticket.

So, please enlighten me about how to push changes to existing branches the
canonical way, and clarify the documentation accordingly. In my opinion the
authors themselves should update their tickets with every new release,
anyway.

Regards,
Ralf Stephan