Hi!

On 2014-03-12, Ralf Stephan <gtrw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...After you have done that, you can upload your changes back to trac:
>
> [user@localhost]$ sage -dev commit
> [user@localhost]$ sage -dev push
>
> This will update the ticket to now point to your branch, including your=20
> changes.
> However, two long-time developers have now asked why I do this, and one=20
> suggested to use a branch under public/, but I tried that and I can push=20
> that branch to trac but it's not visible in the ticket.

I find this a bit of an annoyance, too. Apparently you need to use git
"the hard way" to let your local branch be pushed to a public branch on
trac, and then you have to manually edit the branch field on trac to
point to the public branch.

I keep forgetting how to do this. Hence, I'd very much appreciate if someone
could implement something like

  sage -dev push --ticket=12345 --remote_branch=public/foo/bar

to push to the specified public branch, and (as a convenience) update
the information on the local branch, such that subsequently
  sage -dev push
and
  git push
will both push to the previously indicated public trac branch.

And similarly, if the user has write permission to the branch (e.g.,
public branch) attached to a ticket, then
  sage -dev push
should push *there* (and not to a new branch u/UserName/...).

> In my opinion the
> authors themselves should update their tickets with every new release,=20
> anyway.

Why?

If there is a merge conflict with the current beta version then of course
the author or someone else should resolve the conflict and update the
ticket accordingly. But when there is no conflict (which should be the
case most of the time) there is no need whatsoever to change the ticket
by merging in the latest development branch.

Best regards,
Simon