As another point of information, just one I forgot to mention earlier,
after enough people follow it, it moves to the commitment phase - where new
questions are not asked or answered, as I understand it (?)

The commitment score is the minimum of three scores:

% out of 200 committers (committing to do a certain nontrivial amount of
activity in beta)
% out of 100 committers with 200+ rep on any other SE site (this I think
will be easiest for us to fulfill!)
% out of 100 on commitment score [1], based on committers' activity on all
other sites and how old the commitment is

[1]
http://meta.stackexchange.com/questions/53650/area-51-commit-percent/53733#53733