...ah, and to emphasize: in the old system, this simply wouldn't have
happened. I would have applied the patch, and only the things that needed
recompilation would have recompiled. Sometimes, as in this case, that would
be an empty set. In the old days, I only recompiled Sage when I completely
juiced my system... which wasn't an empty set, but it wasn't of large
cardinality, either.

Basically, would it be possible to add an intermediate step where people
could download only the relevant patch (like before), apply & experiment
only with the patch (like before), & then, when that seemed okay, check
against the most recent branch (like now)? Sorry if this sounds like
ignorant babble; I'm not familiar with the correct vocabulary.

john perry