Hello John !

> ...ah, and to emphasize: in the old system, this simply wouldn't have
> happened. I would have applied the patch, and only the things that needed
> recompilation would have recompiled. Sometimes, as in this case, that
would
> be an empty set. In the old days, I only recompiled Sage when I completely
> juiced my system... which wasn't an empty set, but it wasn't of large
> cardinality, either.

Well, if you systematically merge the remote branch with the latest release
available on your computer, git behaves like hg and you only have to
recompile the files modified by the branch.

I have a script that does something like that:

git branch -D tmp
git checkout -b tmp develop
git pull trac remote_branch

When the remote branch was already up-to-date it creates no commit, it is
just a 'fast-forward' in git's terminology

When the remote branch is not up-to-date but there is no conflict, I just
fill a commit message saying "trac #number: rebased on the latest beta"

When the remote branch is not compatible with the latest release I fix the
problems then create the merge commit.

I insist that this way of doing things make it behave like mercurial did
with respect to recompilations. Also, I worked like that for a long time
and my branches usually have no merge commit (when they get reviewed
between two betas) or one for the longest ones. Sometimes they have two,
for very very long ones (but I usually rebase them when they get this old).

What I mean to say is that if beginners write branches with one or two
merge commits, this is not a very hard price to pay to make it easier for
them. Plus beginners branches are usually simple things, which are quickly
reviewed: thus there should be no merge commit at all.

Finally, I think that this is the best procedure to *review* branches, as
it triggers the minimum amount of recompilation and there is no problem
with the branch history as everything only happens on the reviewer's
computer.

Nathann