Incidentally it is totally archaic and unnecessary that one should have to
do make or "sage -b" at all after changing pure python code.  That's purely
a technically problem that we should have solved long ago.  Mike Hansen
even implemented something much better once but it didn't get positive
review.

If you work on nonsage python projects they mostly support e.g. "pythob
setup.py develop" for this sort of thing.

William.