On Thursday, 24 September 2015 15:02:39 UTC-7, Volker Braun wrote:

> On Thursday, September 24, 2015 at 11:18:58 PM UTC+2, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
>>
>> IMHO abbreviations are OK when they are known to basically every
>>> mathematician, e.g. ZZ. Which translates to about undergrad level. Just ask
>>> a undergraduate student what a T2starGQ graph is and you'll have your
>>> answer.
>>>

>> Huh? Ask an undergraduate what a  T2starGeneralizedQuadrangle graph is.
>> Result will be the same.
>>

> You are missing the point. Of course Sage contains stuff that are beyond
> the undergrad syllabus. All I'm saying that you shouldn't abbreviate it,
> then. E.g. searching for "Generalized Quadrangle" easily finds an
> explanation for what that is, whereas searching for GQ brings you to the
> website of the Gentlemen's Quarterly magazine.

the function is documented, and one can easily see what it is about, no
need to google. In comparison, try googling for ZZ, or for GL.

Signature:      graphs.T2starGQGraph(q, dual=False, hyperoval=None,
field=None, check_hyperoval=True)
Docstring:
   Return the collinearity graph of the generalized quadrangle
   T_2^*(q), or of its dual

FYI, Mathscinet finds 34 papers with abbreviation GQ in the title; 1 refers
to something else, 33 refer to generalized quadrangles.

And by the way, look at the docstring fot LLL:
Docstring:
   Return LLL reduced or approximated LLL reduced lattice R for this
   matrix interpreted as a lattice.

"matrix interpreted as lattice..." maybe it should be "lettuce" there?

FYI, Mathscinet finds 34 papers with abbreviation LLL in the title.

Or even better, look at  BKZ method for matrices. I must say I didn't know
this abbreviation. Anyone does know?

FYI, Mathscinet finds 8 papers with abbreviation BKZ. But only 2 are
relevant to BKZ for matrices, the rest are about some stuff in
fluid dynamics known as K-BKZ.

Now you  seem to be telling me that GQ (33 times mentioned in titles of
maths papers) is an obscure abbreviation  and cannot be used in Sage
function names, while LLL
(wow, 20% more times in titles)  and BKZ (wow, mentioned 2 times in titles
of maths papers) are just great to have as it is...