On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 6:35 PM,  <calcp...@aol.com> wrote:

> Hi, I see that sage can call mathematica functions - I suppose that
> only works if I have mathematica installed.
>
> What I'm wondering is if I can import a mathmatica notebook into sage?
> We used to have mathematica at my school and I remember using some very
> nice mathematica notebooks by Jerry Uhl (University of Illinois?) that
> served as workbooks for teaching calculus.  Can I use these notebooks
> with sage?

No.

> Also, I see that sage uses lots of great FOSS math apps.  One I don't
> see, and wonder why its not included, is Octave which would give MATLAB
> functionality to sage.  I'm wondering why Octave is not part of sage?
> I thought sage was to be an alternative to Magma, Mathematica and
> MATLAB.

1. Sage includes numpy and scipy, which are native Python libraries
that provide most MATLAB functionality to Sage.   See, e.g.,
           http://www.scipy.org/NumPy_for_Matlab_Users
To include Octave as well would be a huge duplication of
functionality.  (Sage also includes GSL -- the Gnu Scientific Library
-- which again would overlap a lot with Octave for functionality.)

2. Octave is very time consuming to build from source, since it is a
large C++ program.

3. Octave as a binary is very easy to install on any modern system, so
there is little point in including it in Sage, since people can easily
just install it.  There is a Sage/Octave interface, so you can use
Octave from Sage.

4. Octave is licensed GPLv3, so we can't include it with Sage anyways.

 -- William