On Jan 4, 2009, at 9:35 PM, calcp...@aol.com wrote:

> Hi, I see that sage can call mathematica functions - I suppose that
> only works if I have mathematica installed.
>
> What I'm wondering is if I can import a mathmatica notebook into sage?
> We used to have mathematica at my school and I remember using some
> very
> nice mathematica notebooks by Jerry Uhl (University of Illinois?) that
> served as workbooks for teaching calculus.  Can I use these notebooks
> with sage?

You could display the notebooks with Mathematica Player and if you want
to do more with them, try and convert them to Sage.

As for Octave, unless there is something specific, I highly recommend
Numpy and SciPy like William stated.

Cheers,

Tim.

---
Tim Lahey
PhD Candidate, Systems Design Engineering
University of Waterloo
http://www.linkedin.com/in/timlahey