Thanks for the many useful answers in this thread from several people.
(And thanks for the book on Rubik's Cube, David Joyner ;-)

Now, once again please forgive these questions if they're silly.
Firstly, regarding neatly typesetting text and maths, I've tried the
funky javascript editor (shift+click blue bar), but I don't thinks
it's not quite what I'm looking for. Moreover, I haven't found how to
edit text once it's entered. How is this done?

Preferrably I'd like to enter sage/python code in the form of a self-
documenting program (actually, there's a better term for this, but
I've forgotten it). I'd like to have lots of neatly formatted latex
commentary accomanying my sage code, ie I want to be able to
intersperse latex and sage code. I've done this in the past in latex
(and some programming lanuage) with some extra tools and packages that
extract and compile code from a latex document, run it, then retrieve
and typeset the results.

I've tried using the latex(.) function. It neatly typsets a maths
object, but so far I've only combined it with
text through statements of the form
print ".... %s.... " % latex(object)
which doesn't make for nicely typeset text, headings, piecewise-
defined-equations etc.

Typing %latex at the start of a cell makes all of that cell's content
interpretted and processed as latex markup -- great for the
commentary, but then I can't switch back to sage commands in the same
cell.

OK, maybe I should be content with starting a new cell if I want to
switch from latex entry to sage entry. But then, ideally, I could
still refer to a sage object in a latex cell which would render the
referred object as tex in the latex cell. Thus, I wouldn't need to
manually transliterate a rendered sage expression (say) in to latex in
a latex cell containing commentary of a sage cell.

Am I making sense? Is anything like this possible?

Being the first sage material I read, "Sage for Newbies" appeared to
be prepared in a manner that is exactly what I'm looking for. In it
Ted Kosan briefly mentions  "speed" and "presentation"  "usage
styles", and that the latter usage style was the one in which the book
was prepared, but then he leaves the details of "usage styles"
unexplained and marked only "to be developed".

Perhaps if Ted Kosan's source file from which "Sage for Newbies" was
generated could be made available I could try and pick up the details
from there?

Now, on other silly topics:
I've switched from using sage 3.2 on my machine to using the
sagenb.org server. It seems the latter has poorer typesetting
abilities than v3.2, eg often (but not always) renders sqrt(.) as "sqrt
(...)" rather than using the usual symbol. Why? Is it something I set?

Finally, regarding this code:
--------------------
var('X kappa')
X=sqrt(kappa)
F=exp(X)
show(F/F)
On v3.2 on my machine the answer is shown as "1", but the sagenb.org
server tells me it's
e^{2*sqrt(kappa)}  as though it were showing F*F. What's going on
here?

Thanks heaps,
   Marc