Marky Marc wrote:
> Thanks for the many useful answers in this thread from several people.
> (And thanks for the book on Rubik's Cube, David Joyner ;-)
>
> Now, once again please forgive these questions if they're silly.
> Firstly, regarding neatly typesetting text and maths, I've tried the
> funky javascript editor (shift+click blue bar), but I don't thinks
> it's not quite what I'm looking for. Moreover, I haven't found how to
> edit text once it's entered. How is this done?

Double-click on the text.

> Preferrably I'd like to enter sage/python code in the form of a self-
> documenting program (actually, there's a better term for this, but
> I've forgotten it).

Literate programming

I'd like to have lots of neatly formatted latex
> commentary accomanying my sage code, ie I want to be able to
> intersperse latex and sage code. I've done this in the past in latex
> (and some programming lanuage) with some extra tools and packages that
> extract and compile code from a latex document, run it, then retrieve
> and typeset the results.
>
> I've tried using the latex(.) function. It neatly typsets a maths
> object, but so far I've only combined it with
> text through statements of the form
> print ".... %s.... " % latex(object)
> which doesn't make for nicely typeset text, headings, piecewise-
> defined-equations etc.
>
> Typing %latex at the start of a cell makes all of that cell's content
> interpretted and processed as latex markup -- great for the
> commentary, but then I can't switch back to sage commands in the same
> cell.
>
> OK, maybe I should be content with starting a new cell if I want to
> switch from latex entry to sage entry. But then, ideally, I could
> still refer to a sage object in a latex cell which would render the
> referred object as tex in the latex cell. Thus, I wouldn't need to
> manually transliterate a rendered sage expression (say) in to latex in
> a latex cell containing commentary of a sage cell.
>
> Am I making sense? Is anything like this possible?

You might check out sagetex
(http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/sagetex.html;
updated version at http://bitbucket.org/ddrake/sagetex/ or installed by
doing sage -i sagetex-2.1.1 )

It means you are editing a latex document, but you can do all of those
things you mentioned above with sagetex.

> Being the first sage material I read, "Sage for Newbies" appeared to
> be prepared in a manner that is exactly what I'm looking for. In it
> Ted Kosan briefly mentions  "speed" and "presentation"  "usage
> styles", and that the latter usage style was the one in which the book
> was prepared, but then he leaves the details of "usage styles"
> unexplained and marked only "to be developed".
>
> Perhaps if Ted Kosan's source file from which "Sage for Newbies" was
> generated could be made available I could try and pick up the details
> from there?

Ted's book was written in OpenOffice.  I thought the source file was in
the same directory.  That book hasn't been updated in probably several
years; it may or may not reflect the current nature of Sage.  I don't know.

> Now, on other silly topics:
> I've switched from using sage 3.2 on my machine to using the
> sagenb.org server. It seems the latter has poorer typesetting
> abilities than v3.2, eg often (but not always) renders sqrt(.) as "sqrt
> (...)" rather than using the usual symbol. Why? Is it something I set?
>
> Finally, regarding this code:
> --------------------
> var('X kappa')
> X=sqrt(kappa)
> F=exp(X)
> show(F/F)
> -------------
> On v3.2 on my machine the answer is shown as "1", but the sagenb.org
> server tells me it's
> e^{2*sqrt(kappa)}  as though it were showing F*F. What's going on
> here?

In the past few weeks, we've switched to a new system for doing
symbolics which is much faster and promises a great future.  There are
some patches still going in to better handle the typesetting; these
issues may be associated with the update.

Thanks,

Jason

--
Jason Grout