Ditto.  I've got at least a dozen Macs (I run a number of Mac build
slaves for the Python buildbot), and I never use MacPorts on them.

Seems to me that a copy of libjpeg.8.dylib should go into SAGEROOT/
local/lib, and the SAGE build of PIL should reference it there.
That's what I do with UpLib.

Bill