Yes, I think that's right, Justin.

I just tried this:

1.  Build libpng and libjpeg, static-only, and install to SAGE_LOCAL/
lib/.
2.  Build Imaging-1.1.7 (after setting CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS to point
to SAGE_LOCAL), and install to SAGE_LOCAL/lib.
3.  Remove my /opt/local/lib/ directory.

Now Image.open() and .show() work fine.

I think this should become part of the Sage build process, if it isn't
already.  That way you won't wind up with "improper builds".  You can
delete the PNG and JPEG libraries after building PIL, as they're now
statically linked into the PIL libraries.

So, why not build libpng and libjpeg dynamically?  Because Sage also
sets DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH (usually a bad indicator on Macs), and the
dynamic version would override the versions various system frameworks
(like ImageIO) are supposed to link against.  Might it make more sense
to use DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH for this purpose?

Bill