On Nov 12, 6:43 pm, "Justin C. Walker" <jus...@mac.com> wrote:
> On Nov 11, 2011, at 13:27 , Bill Janssen wrote:
>
> > I've downloaded and installed sage on my OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Mac Pro.
> > I'm trying to do some image processing, but things seem a bit bollixed
> > up.  It seems to me that if you're going to depend on a library that's
> > installed in some non-standard place (I have no idea what would
> > create /opt/local/lib) you should instead package it with and in the
> > Sage tree.
>
> It sounds like you installed a binary release, rather than built Sage from
> source.  True?  If so, it appears that whoever built the binary did so
> without modifying his PATH to exclude the MacPorts stuff.

Aha!  See the title of the thread - Sage 4.7!  Not 4.7.1 or 4.7.2.

So you got your binary from whoever provided the 4.7 Intel binaries
(e.g., at http://www.cecm.sfu.ca/sage/osx/intel/index.html), which
must have done that.  Apparently we don't have any more recent 10.5 or
10.4 Intel binaries.

So here is the way you can fix the binary, at least in principle.

1. Download the Sage source for 4.7.2
2. Build Sage from source (you'll probably have to move /sw, maybe
not /opt)
3. Run "sage -bdist 4.7.2-OSX-32bit-10.5" or something like that
3.5 (optional) Run "export SAGE_APP_BUNDLE=yes" and then repeat
4. Let the webmaster for sagemath.org know you have a binary or two
for him to upload
5. Congratulate yourself on becoming an official contributor to Sage!

If I said something wrong, I'm sure someone will correct this
momentarily.  But if you are persistent enough to do what you just did
to solve your problem, this will be a snap.

- kcrisman