Hi Harald,

On 2019-07-12, Harald Schilly <har...@schil.ly> wrote:
>> Do you literally mean "user", not the specific name of a single user?
>
> yes, all cocalc projects run under the same user "user" in their own
> container.
> No, /home/user is a read/write mounted volume and ~/.sage is a
> directory inside of it. i.e.
>
> $ ls -ld ~/.sage
> drwx------ 14 user user 20 Aug 19  2018 /home/user/.sage
>
> $ touch ~/.sage/foo
> $ ls -l ~/.sage/foo
> -rw-r--r-- 1 user user 0 Jul 12 17:38 /home/user/.sage/foo

So, users ARE able to write to /home/user/.sage/meataxe, right? Then I
don't see what goes wrong here. Is there a symbolic link involved? I
could imagine that MeatAxe needs to be given an absolute path.

>> That would explain why the files are missing (because they are
>> created when missing, which requires write permission).
>
> Is there a way to explicitly trigger the creation of such a file?
> Maybe some error pops up that reveals more information.

In very old MeatAxe versions, there was an executable called maketab
that was responsible for table creation. But now it is just a library
function. The trigger is: Create a matrix over a non-prime finite field
of size <255 in odd characteristic.

Anyway, I created #28188 and would appreciate getting some explanation
on the specific situation on CoCalC and some feedback on the potential
ways out (such as: Keep the arithmetic tables in memory, not on disk).

Best regards,
Simon

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-support/qgcmkm%241kkj%241%40blaine.gmane.org.