From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Andrew Collier
Sent: 08 March 2002 17:32
To: sam-users@nvg.ntnu.no
Subject: Re: F16 Combat Pilot download

On Friday 08 Mar 2002 5:02 pm, you wrote:
> All I was getting at was the idea of selling something which belonged to
> someone else to a company that I believe is doing the same thing! It was
> meant to be a light hearted poke at the irony of such a thing....but
> obviously this has been miscontrued. Any offense which I have unwittingly
> caused I regret.

> Never once have I been sarcastic to those who are trying to do me a
favour.

Your sarcasm is directed at the copyright holders of old games. You're
asking
them to abandon their rights and allow you to copy the game for free. Is
this
not a favour? What exactly do they owe you?

Just because you can download games for other systems, doesn't make it
legal.
You mentioned JetPac, and Ultimate are one of the companies who most
viciously protect their old Spectrum games: you didn't find JetPac at World
Of Spectrum.

I think the point is that people on this list only want to point out
download
sites which respect the wishes of the copyright owner. If that wish is that
some money goes to charity every time somebody gets a game, then it's their
right to say so and you should respect it too.

Persona negotiated with some programmers to get rights to distribute a
number
of their titles, when the original publisher(s) went into liquidation. I
don't see that the situation should be any different between these titles
and
the ones developed for Persona specifically.

Unlike a certain other publisher who allegedly copied the same games and
sold
them for money, paying no royalties to the programmer. Suffice it to say
that
there is a *LOT* of history here, some very bitter memories, and I think
most
of the people who were involved at the time would rather put the
circumstances behind them and not get involved with it again.

Part of the problem is that there was so much misinformation and half-truths
spread about by a few influential people, that very few people will ever now
know exactly who owns what. To the best of my knowledge, Persona negotiated
rights to all the Enigma games, the SamCo (original-Revelation) games,
everything by Phoenix software systems, and Exodus by Apex. I don't know who
owns the Fred titles now, there was a lot of changing-hands a few years ago,

Andrew

--
 ---       Andrew Collier       ----
  ---- http://mnemotech.ucam.org/ ---