My guess is that the final label might be at some kind of
page boundary, which trips up the code building the table.  I haven't
tried to look into it -- any volunteers...?
So this may or may not be related but I've memories of long basic programs getting corrupted, and the corruption would happen around a page boundary. I'd end up putting long REM statements around the area affected.

I've found an example in the "fortress" code on "the sad snail collection". There are a bunch of REMS around line 40250. I'm pretty certain if I could remember how to check this will be at a page boundary.

HTH,
    Tim