Re Stuart Eydmann's recent e-mail on the subject:

I am very interested in the work you refer to which was done by Dr.
Peter Cooke..........." to explain the internal rhythmic variation in
traditional players which gives the music its particular lift, lit and
drive." Is it available?

Re the issue of "traditional characteristics"  or "the Scottish Idiom"
as Hunter describes it ; the following may be of  interest to you and
others. The quote from Hunter in your e-mail "Snap bowing is one of the
most fundamental strokes in strathspey playing", continues  "and mastery
of it is essential if the player is to capture the rhythmic drive
inherent in the music". In my experience not a single Cape Breton
fiddler plays or ever did play strathspeys this way. In fact I believe
that it is virtually impossible to play strathspeys this way at "step
dance" tempo, [176 to 184] but you'd be in for a royal fight if you
concluded that CB fiddlers don't play them with rhythmic drive. It is
also interesting to note that Hunter's description of "the Scots snap"
on the same page and the "up-driven bow" on the following page describe
precisely how CB fiddlers execute this bowing.

Alexander