Nigel Gatherer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I think as you said we need Anselm or David South to come in with their
> thoughts now.

SCD strathspeys are at 116 »ticks« per minute or so if you let your
metronome tick four times per bar. (I'm desperately trying to avoid the
issue of »beats« to the bar -- the SCD teacher in me says that the
strathspey step is really four beats rather than two. Marches have two
beats per bar but not strathspeys, and with the strathspey there is a
big emphasis on the 1 and a not-so-big one on the 3). 32 bars (that is,
128 »ticks«) of strathspey time at SCD speed take somewhat more than a
minute or so, so you can take it from there. 116 is really quite zippy
already -- except for Glasgow Highlanders, which is played a good bit
faster, and some other dances involving Highland setting steps, such as

> As for dancers not knowing the difference between a reel and a jig: why
> on earth should they? I can't see that it's very relevant to how they
> dance. One plays 2 or 4 notes to the beat, the other 3, but the beat
> remains the same, doesn't it?

Nope. Most SCD dance steps are composed of four separate »actions« (such
somewhat for the sake of argument, in reel time, these actions take
place on beats 1, 2, 3, 4 of a bar (assuming 4/4, common or cut-common
time), and in jig time on beats 1, 3, 4, and 6.

The RSCDS sells a nice book called »Any good tune«, by Muriel A.
Johnstone (who as some of you may be aware of is the doyenne of
RSCDS-style SCD music) which is targeted at beginning SCD musicians and
contains a nice selection of well-known and useful country dance tunes,
arranged for piano. The introduction to that book gives various hints
about playing SCD music, including tempo specifications, and it says:

»Tempos vary greatly according to different situations and different
preferences. A metronome marking lying between

  <half note> = 104 and <half note> = 112 for reel time
  <quarter note> = 104 and <quarter note> = 116 for strathspey time
  <dotted quarter> = 104 and <dotted quarter> = 112 for jig time

would cover most dancers' needs from the expert demonstration dancer to
young children learning; from a formal ball to a barn dance. Tempo is
not something that should become an obsession since music that has
powerful rhythm and good lift swings along and brings the dancers with
it, even at a relaxed speed. [...] It is important to remember that a
VERY SLIGHT [Muriel's emphasis] alteration in the speed of the music
can make an enormous difference to the dancers. [...] If you notice
people struggling to balance and dancing ahead of the music then the
speed is too slow. If the dancers are repeatedly late for the next
figure of the dance and look rushed and ungainly with a loss of any
accuracy in the steps, then your music is too fast.«

Mind you that this is, more or less, the official RSCDS position. You
will find very popular dance bands who take their strathspeys rather a
lot quicker than the suggested 116, and I have a recording of another
very famous and popular band whose rendition of the 8x32 »strathspey«,
The Duchess Tree, clocks in at something like 9'20", which is *way* too
slow even from the RSCDS perspective.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau .......................................... [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I think that, as life is action and passion, it is required of a man that he