OK, time to get serious. Thanks to everyone who has commented on this
subject. I'm now reading J Murdoch Henderson (JMM) [1] on the subject
(which is just a little more than my brain can handle!), and I'm trying
to get it down.

All the below assumes a metronome beat equals a crotchet or quarter
note unless otherwise specified.

STRATHSPEYS
Jeffrey Friedman says they dance Strathspeys at 60. I'm not a dancer,
but musically that seems VERY slow to me [3]. JMM states the limits as
between 160 and 188. That upper limit seems fast to me, but nothing
compared to the 202 reached in some Cape Breton recordings [2]. Now to
Jimmy Shand and his Band; listening to a few Shand Strathspeys gives
measurements of 130, 133 139, 139, 141 and 142; this seems right to me
as a musician, but I can't speak for a dancer. Alastair Hardie's count
of 126-138 seems to concur.

REELS (half-note measurements in brackets)
The mistake I made when I raised this was not stating/realising that
the reels in question would be notated in 2/4, so if we assume all
reels to be in 4/4, Hardie's figures become 216-232 (108-116), and
JMM's recommendation is 240-252 (120-126). Now you can see why they use
minims or half-notes - my metronome doesn't go higher than 250. Playing
"The Barrowburn Reel" at 240 (120) seems fine - I think I might take it
a touch slower, but I tend to favour playing slower rather than faster.
Shand plays reels around 250, while Cape Breton reels are between
192-250 (96-125) [2], which concurs with the other figures..

Anyway, the upshot is that it's all clear to me now. I can put together
a table of lower and upper limits which will relate to dance speeds.
Thanks again to everyone for helping.

[1] Flowers of Scottish Melody, 1935
[2] ...as notated in 'Traditional Celtic Violin Music of Cape Breton'
Kate Dunlay and David Greenberg
[3] Jeffrey - are you sure it's not half-note measurements you mean?

--
Nigel Gatherer, Crieff, Scotland
[EMAIL PROTECTED]