Wendy Galovich wrote:

> Nigel - Jeff was referring to Scottish Country Dance strathspeys, not
> Cape Breton. For SCD aren't the strathspeys supposed to be counted
> two to the bar, rather than four to the bar as in Cape Breton?

That's what I'm guessing, Wendy. Jeffrey specifically said quarter
notes, however, which is why I asked. I think as you said we need
Anselm or David South to come in with their thoughts now.

As for dancers not knowing the difference between a reel and a jig: why
on earth should they? I can't see that it's very relevant to how they
dance. One plays 2 or 4 notes to the beat, the other 3, but the beat
remains the same, doesn't it?

On a final note, here's J Murdoch Henderson again:

"1. To calculate from the metronome beat of an air...the number of
seconds required to render any given part of it: multiply by 60 the
number of beats in the part played, then divide by the metronome beat
number. e.g. Time required to play once through a strathspey at 160 is
64x60/160=24 seconds.

"2. To calculate the metronome beat of an air from the number of
seconds required to play any given part of it: multiply by 60 the
number of beats in the part played, then divide by the number of
seconds required to play that part. e.g. Metronome beat of a reel
played once through in 16 seconds is 32x60/16=120..."

You can picture it, can't you, a couple of traditional musicians with
pencil and paper, scratching their heads, saying

"Ach Archie, Ah dinna see hoo we can dae a Glasgow Highlanders, the
numbers jist dinna mak sense."

"Havers, Dod. Ye've timesed it insteed o' takin' awa the number ye
first thocht o'. Hing it a', jist tap yer bliddy foot, man, an' be done
wi' it!"

--
Nigel Gatherer, Crieff, Scotland
[EMAIL PROTECTED]