I'm afraid I can't agree. Strathspeys are *much* commoner in Scotland, but
they're far from unknown in Ireland, particularly in Donegal and the other
Northern counties. If you check "The Northern Fiddler" or the series of
tutor books published by Cairdeas na bhFidleiri, you'll find them in
abundance.

However, Strathspeys aren't confined to Donegal: even Michael Coleman
recorded
"Stirling Castle".

Regards,

Ted